Monday, April 4, 2011

Follow the Prophet

The other day I caught Isabelle, who will be 2 in a week, singing to herself out of a Primary songbook.  Of course she can't read yet, but she was doing her best to sing "Follow the Prophet."  There are a few Primary songs that every kid seems to love and know, I assumed because they are catchy.  In Isabelle's case, she has learned what she knows of the song mostly from Matthew, because he wants to sing it for every Family Home Evening and at other random times through the week.  It is probably his favorite song at this point.

Yesterday we struggled to get Matthew to sit and listen to any of General Conference.  I understand when you are not-quite-five it probably isn't the most fun thing to do, but we gave it our best shot and ended up mostly being frustrated.  Later after it was all over, I tried to explain to him that the main reason I wanted him to pay attention was that President Monson won't always be with us and that I wanted him to remember him. I probably didn't put it too well, because when it hit Matthew that President Monson would pass away at some point, he started to cry (literally) and said that he didn't want President Monson to die.  I don't remember the last time I saw him so sad.

I felt bad for making him feel bad, but I also felt good because I realized that Matthew wasn't just singing a song and that he wasn't just ignoring conference completely.  I'm not sure we give him enough credit.  He probably couldn't tell you much that President Monson said, but I believe that Matthew has felt the Spirit telling him that prophets are important and that President Monson is his prophet today.

No comments: